Friday 5 February 2016

#Anderson5adventures





After a 17.5 hour trek from Vancouver to Seattle to Dubai, carrying five hockey bags weighing 60 lbs each and five carry ons, we made it safe and sound here to Dubai.  The poor taxi driver that picked us up at the airport.  The Lord gave us favour for the journey, all the way from checking in Vancouver and the clerk not even weighing our luggage (they might have been a pound or two over) to weighing our carry on bags and not making a stink about the fact they were over weight and the clerk just offering to check them for free.  The whole bag thing had been an anxiety of mine for awhile.  Now just hoping the leg from Dubai to Uganda we get the same favour:)


It feels a bit sur real to be sitting in Dubai, UAE, writing this blog.  Trust me, it is not lost on me how fortunate our family is to be having this experience.  As I have said before I am so proud of our entire family for the sacrifices we made this year to make this a reality.  As I sit in the apartment we are living in for the few days in Dubai I am listening to the call to prayer in this city.  There are prayers rooms by the beaches here, in the airport and people here are committed to this time.  It makes me realize just how much we often take for granted our opportunities and religious freedoms we have in our country, and although times are changing for us back home with those religious freedoms it is a reminder to me to teach my children to stand up for what they believe in and not to take it for granted.  The people here are committed that is for sure and we could learn a lot from that.

What an amazing few days we have had here in Dubai.  Beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, amazingly friendly people we have met and culture that I never dreamed I could introduce my kids to.  We have enjoyed down time by the pool and beaches, and a day of adventure going to one of the biggest malls I have ever seen and then up to the 124th floor of the tallest building; The Burj Khalif, to dune bashing the sand dunes in the desert, riding camels, enjoying a middle Eastern meal and entertainment while we ate on carpets on the sand with pillows and small tables.  Again eating that meal while sitting on pillows on the ground brought to mind the many Bible stories I have read with my kids and relating to them that this is how Jesus must have eaten in his time to, on the floor with pillows while enjoying the company of those around Him.














Here we are Friday mid afternoon, the bags are packed once again, we are heading off to the beach to enjoy the last little bit of Dubai before we leave early tomorrow morning for Uganda.  I think we are all feeling ready to leave here and to embrace our friends the Dycks and enjoy the next 7 weeks working along side with them.  Thank you again to all that donated you went above and beyond.  I look forward to posting pictures of the work we are able to do in Kibaale because of the funds you gave.  It really does take a village.  And to the Dyck family, get ready lol the Andersons are coming!!!
Till next time
The Andersons


1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog and seeing the photos. SDLY

    ReplyDelete