Friday 4 March 2016

#Anderson5adventures
Rwanda, Kibaale Community Centre, and Ostriches




I am so amazed that we have the opportunity while here to experience so many different things.  Last weekend we went away to Kigali, Rwanda for a short visit.  We really wanted to go to the Genocide memorial and have our kids learn some pretty hard facts about what life was like for some.  It was a sobering experience as we read different accounts of the atrocities that happened on Rwandan soil and also an experience of hope as you looked around the country now and saw people helping people and how resilient the Rwandans were and are, a definite message of hope and peace.


 Border crossing between Uganda and Rwanda.  
 Hotel Rwanda


The wall of names of those who lost their lives.

Looking out over Kigali


After Rwanda we returned to the Kibaale Community Centre for a week with the school kids.  Our family was able to lead devotions in the P4 class for the week, as well as help with one of the PE classes, then at 2pm the girls would either go to the special needs class or go to the daycare to hold babies.  The special needs class is mostly kids with hearing deficit so the girls loved spending time with the kids and learning sign language.  Also on the Tuesday the Awana program started up and we were able to help with teaching the memory verse, crafts and games.  The one thing that really stood out to me this week while working with the kids is their ability to pray.  During devotions, chapel and Awana there is a time of the kids just kneeling and calling out to God, it is the most amazing sound I have ever heard on top of their amazing singing.


 Morning devotions

PE class, cat and mouse with the parachute




So proud of my girls during devotions, they would read the scripture and pray a blessing over the class.  We had one exciting morning while we were singing with the class and all of a sudden the kids were running to a corner and one kid went and got a broom and right in front of where we were standing there was a snake by one of the school benches, the kid wacked the head off with a broom and on we went with singing and praising God, needless to say I was praising God a little more excitedly that day:)

First day of the Awana program.  The kids looked so great in their new shirts.  They were all very excited to be a part of the program.  I think they all really liked it when we tried to repeat the memory verse in Lugandan.

Chapel with the primary grades.  The singing was beautiful as was the praying.  The only thing that threw me for a minute was when the teacher thought I was going to give the message and minister, lost in translation I guess when I had asked her earlier that morning what time chapel was and she said oh good you are coming and I said yes.  Apparently that was me agreeing to minister:)  She let me off the hook considering I didn't bring my bible only my camera that day.

We went to a local Ostrich farm where the kids got to "ride" an Ostrich.  The funniest was the ostrich got more upset after each kid, so when they were going to release him I stood off to the side to get a picture, I thought he would run straight and it looked like he was going to then all of a sudden he changed directions and came straight for where I was standing... yup there might have been a scream in there and then lots of laughter.





We got some rain in Kibaale which was great to fill up the water tanks!  and our kids enjoyed playing outside in it and so did some of the kids from the school.  After the rain there was a game of soccer between Canada and Uganda, pretty easy guess as to who won:)







No comments:

Post a Comment